Pages

Our Mission:

The Rock Prairie Master Gardener Association, located in Rock County, Wisconsin, is the 42nd association of the Wisconsin Master Gardener Program.

This blog is used to distribute timely information to association members regarding volunteer opportunities, MGV highlights, and other social tid bits.

Horticulture related information is to be directed to the Horticulture Educator or the Plant Health Advisors.

This blog is not for garden related questions.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Central Park

Mark Dwyer's recent visit to New York resulted in a picture in his RBG blog of him sitting on the rim of a fountain in Central Park. Seeing Mark sitting there looking awed, I remembered that same fountain from the cover of a book I had picked up at a rummage sale for a quarter about a year ago.

The book is titled Central Park, 1857 to 1995, The Birth, Decline, and Renewal of a National Treasure.

The day I bought the book I was just looking for something to read while I munched my lunch. Instead, I found myself up at 3 am bleary eyed but unwilling to put down this fascinating story.

The story begins when the park was nothing but an idea and introduces us to perhaps one of the most ambitious gardeners America has ever known, designer and project champion, Frederic Law Olmsted. If you get a chance, pick it up. It's a fascinating read.

No comments:

Post a Comment